Get trained and get hired! Skilled Trades workers are in high demand. The Centre for Skills Development & Training’s Skilled Trades Training Programs get students trained for rewarding careers in less than half the time of similar college training programs.
Why Choose Us?
- Shorter programs with over 70% hands-on training gets students workforce ready earlier than most other programs.
- Over 17,000 square feet of fully-equipped shop space provides students with a full-scale experience.
- Students are trained by experienced instructors who work in the field and know the industry.
- Tuition includes tools, textbooks, on-site parking, personal protective equipment, and safety certifications – No hidden fees!
- Develop essential technical abilities, critical employability skills and gain experience to excel as skilled workers.
- Successful graduates receive personalized job search assistance to help them land their first job in the trade!
All Skilled Trades Training Programs take place at the Bay Area Learning Centre in Burlington.
This dynamic program will get you trained for an exciting career in the Construction Industry in only 8 weeks! Students benefit from over 70% hands-on training in over 6,000 square feet of fully-equipped shop space, and a full-scale building experience – no small models!
This program prepares graduates to work in the construction industry as a residential or commercial framer.
This hands-on training program prepares graduates for careers in new home construction, custom home building or home renovation.
Students in this 26 week training program:
- Learn construction business management, marketing and communication skills
- Receive construction safety training including WHMIS, HILTI, Fall Arrest, First Aid and CPR
- Build full scale in over 6,600 square feet of shop space
Electricians install, maintain, troubleshoot and repair electrical equipment and other various electrical and electronic controls. Electricians are in demand and work in many sectors and industries including industrial, commercial, residential, security and entertainment.
In this 22 week training program students:
- Spend 70% of their time in shop developing the skills required to work in the electrical industry
- Have access to job search assistance and coaching to connect with employers, find their first training-related paid job and successfully transition into the workplace
- Receive comprehensive safety training including WHMIS, First Aid, CPR, Fall Arrest, Lockout and Tag Out
Industrial Millwright Mechanic / Machinist
Jump-start your career as a General Machinist or Industrial Millwright Mechanic! This dual trade training program provides hands-on, shop floor training to prepare you for work in either of these in-demand trades!
Students in this 22 week training program:
- Participate in over 70 % hands-on training in over 6000 square feet of shop space
- Have access to job search assistance and coaching to secure their first industry-related paid job
- Receive comprehensive safety training and certifications that employers want
Women in Skilled Trades: Enhanced General Carpentry (WIST)
Are you a woman looking for a career in the skilled trades? This government sponsored program is available to qualifying participants.
In partnership with the Government of Ontario, RESCON (Residential Construction Council of Central Ontario), The Canadian Women’s Foundation and Mohawk College, The Centre annually offers 22 women the opportunity to train for a rewarding new career in the construction industry.
This program provides women the opportunity to:
- Get hands-on construction training in a women focused learning environment
- Participate in a 5-week plumbing unit at Mohawk College
- Train in over 6,600 square feet of fully equipped shop space
- Work with employment professionals to find their first paid training-related job
- Develop essential skills to be successful in the construction industry
Get in Gear: Career Exploration for Youth
Get in Gear is a free career exploration program that provides eligible youth between the ages of 17 and 30 the opportunity to try a number of skilled trades while developing skills to help them find and keep a job.
Get in Gear participants:
- Develop a career action plan
- Learn the skills to find work and succeed in today’s job market
- Create a resume and employment portfolio
- Build teamwork, leadership and communication skills