The Centre for Skills Development & Training respects and is committed to protecting your privacy.
This web site is owned and operated by The Centre for Skills Development and Training, hereafter referred to as The Centre and which is a wholly owned, not-for-profit affiliate of the Halton District School Board.
This policy is limited to information collected by The Centre from marketing activities and through this web site. This web site contains links to other web sites that are not controlled by or related to The Centre. The Centre is not responsible for these sites, their content, their omissions or the policies and practices engaged in by their owners and/or operators. We recommend that you read the privacy policies of these sites before making a decision to disclose your personal information to the site operators. Our hyperlinks are not to be construed as an endorsement of any other web site.
The choice is always yours whether or not to provide personal information to The Centre. Any personal information you provide will be treated with care and subject to this policy, will not be used or disclosed in ways to which you have not consented. You may opt-out of certain uses and disclosures of your personal information, as explained below. By submitting your personal information to us, you signify your consent to The Centre, its instructors, affiliates and business partners’ collection, use and disclosure of this information in accordance with this policy. By using our web site, you also consent to the collection and use of anonymous information as discussed below.
Personal information collected by The Centre
The Centre collects information in several ways. When you register for a course, we may ask for contact information such as your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address, and for credit and billing information. We may also ask you to complete certain forms or surveys that gather information about you, your business and your opinions or comments. Correspondence sent to us by you or by third parties about your activities, including letters or emails, may be collected into a file specific to you.
Non-identifiable information is sometimes collected from visits to our web site. In general, anyone can visit our web site without telling us who he/she is or revealing any information about business or personal needs. Unless you complete an online form, our web servers collect anonymous, non-identifiable information about you such as the Internet Protocol (IP) address of your computer, the IP address of your Internet service provider, the date and time you access our web site, the Internet address of the web site from which you may have linked to our web site, the operating system you are using, the sections or areas of our web site that you visit, the web site pages read and images viewed, and the content you download from our web site, but not the e-mail addresses of visitors. Our web site logs IP addresses and browser information for purposes of system administration, identifying technical difficulties, evaluating traffic patterns and usage of our web site, and otherwise providing content relevant to visitors to our web site. It may be aggregated to measure certain information, including, without limitation, the number of visits, average time spent on our web site, and related user practices. In general, we will use this information to measure the use of and to improve our web site and the benefits that you can get from using our web site. This non-identifiable information may also be disclosed to others and permanently archived for future use.
Cookies and other technology
A technology called “cookies” may be used to provide you with tailored information and to help personalize and enhance your experience with our web site. A cookie is a tiny element of data that a web site can send to your browser, which may be stored on your hard drive (not on our web site), and is used to recognize you as a previous user of our web site, to offer personalized web page content and information for your use, to track your activity at our web site so that we may better respond to your needs. Some cookies are “session cookies,” meaning that they are deleted shortly after the end of a session. You are always free to decline our cookies if your browser permits, although in that case, you may not be able to use certain features on our web site or engage in transactions through our web site.
Use of personal information
Your personal information is intended to be used only by employees of The Centre and the others specified below to provide programs, products and services, to respond to requests, to verify contact information, to provide account information, course pricing and other sales related information, to improve our offerings and to generally support your use of our services and our website. Personal information we collect may be used to enhance the benefits that you receive from The Centre in the following ways:
- Provide our services to you
- Confirm credit-worthiness
- Bill your credit card
- Confirm your registration and orders
- Respond to your client-service enquiries or requests
- Monitor, service and collect your account
- Communicate special offers to you, if you chose to receive such notices
- Enhance our web site operation and efficiency
- Inform you by email, fax or mail of The Centre’s courses, upcoming events or other items you may find interesting
At any time you may ask us to stop sending you email or mail by contacting us by email at email@example.com or by mail at The Centre for Skills Development & Training, 860 Harrington Court, Burlington, ON, L7N 3N4. From time to time, however, we may send to you email or mail containing important information regarding our services or our web site, which we are required to deliver. You may not opt out of receiving these communications.
In general, we use information in the file we maintain about you and your business to evaluate current and past activities, to resolve disputes and to troubleshoot problems. After a reasonable period of time consistent with our records retention and destruction policies, we will destroy or make anonymous any of your personal information that is no longer needed to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected.
Use, disclosure, and transfer of personal data
Personal information about our clients is an important part of The Centre’s business, and we are not in the business of selling that personal information to others. We share client information only with the parties described below:
- Disclosure to agents and suppliers. We may use third party agents, suppliers and service providers to facilitate the provision of our programs, products and services. For example, we may outsource the operations of one or more aspects of our web site to a supplier or service provider who performs services according to our requirements. In some instances, the service provider may collect information directly from you (such as the situation where we ask a service provider to conduct a survey or contest for us). In order to provide certain services, we must disclose some of your personal information to certain service providers, such as our agents, your credit card issuer or to a processing or authorization company to charge you for the services. Since we want to service your business needs, we encourage our associates in business to follow privacy practices no less protective of all users than the practices we describe in this policy.
- Disclosure to affiliates. We may provide your personal information to affiliates of The Centre. They may use your personal information to provide you with email or other information about their products and services and other matters. In the event we share your personal information with any affiliates and subsidiaries, they will have agreed with us to protect the privacy of your personal information in a manner that is consistent with this policy. If at any time you do not wish us to make any further disclosure of your personal information to any affiliates and subsidiaries, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Disclosure to business partners. We may provide your personal information to certain companies with which we have developed a business relationship and which we believe can be of service to you. Before personal information is disclosed, the recipient organization will agree with us to protect the privacy of your personal information in a manner that is consistent with this policy. Recipient organizations may use your personal information to provide you with email or other information about their products and services and other matters. If at any time you do not wish us to make any further disclosure of your personal information to such organizations, please notify us at email@example.com.
- Disclosure in business transfers. We may sell or transfer some or all of The Centre organization or merge with another entity. As part of that transaction, we may disclose your personal information to the other entity, but will require the entity to agree to protect the privacy of your personal information in a manner that is consistent with this policy.
Data integrity and security
When you provide personal data to us through our web site in the course of paying for services, such data is stored on secured servers that are protected by this Policy. To help protect the confidentiality of your personal information, we employ security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. Your credit card information will be protected through our use of a technology called Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) that automatically encrypts sensitive information before being sent over the Internet. We do not store credit card information or ordering details on our Internet server. In combination with SSL, this practice increases levels of security. No data transmission over the Internet is 100% secure. We will strive to protect your personal information, but The Centre cannot warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you do so at your own risk. Please keep in mind that whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information on-line that information can be collected and used by others.
The Centre reserves the right to change this Policy from time to time and in its sole discretion. Any amendments we make to this Policy will apply to your personal information from the time we post the amendment on our web site. For your convenience, the date of the last update to this policy is listed below. It is your responsibility to regularly check our web site for amendments to this Policy. You agree to be bound by amendments when posted on our web site.
Location of information
We will store your personal information in Burlington, Ontario.
If you have any questions about this privacy statement or about how The Centre manages personal data, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at:
The Centre for Skills Development & Training
860 Harrington Court
Burlington, ON L7N 3N4