Why include social media in your job search?
- 70-90% of employers use LinkedIn for researching potential employees*
- 85% of employers say a positive online reputation influences their hiring decisions*
- Social media makes it EASY to find and maintain networking connections
*Source: Bolles, Richard (2012). What color is your parachute: A practical manual for job-hunters and career changers 2012 Edition. New York: Ten Speed Press
Popular social media sites for job searching
|LinkedIn is your online résumé and your professional network||Allows users to find and follow companies, recruiters, HR personnel and associations to get information about jobs and job postings.||Easy to connect with people all over the world|
|One the most popular social networking sites for professionals and for job searching||Great for finding and networking with other professionals in your field||Personal network connections can lead to potential job opportunities|
|LinkedIn profiles rise to the top of most search engines making it easy for employers to find you. A complete and compelling profile is a great way to create a positive impression to a potential employer
“Having no social media presence at all may raise more concern, not because you are hiding something, but the concern could be that you are out of touch with the times.”
Tara Orchard, Social media expert and principal career performance coach
Career-Coach Canada and Careeradex.com
How to maximize your job search with social media
Keep your profiles current and up to date
- Social media happens in “real time”, which means your profile needs to be up to date.
- Fill in as much information you can to ensure you show up in search results and are able to connect with new people and potential employers.
Stay active and join the conversations
- The more active you are on social media, the more information you are able to share and receive.
- Join groups and be active in discussion boards by sharing interesting and relevant information.
- Follow companies and industry experts or organizations to get the latest news.
Create your own blog
- Start a professional blog as an effective way to increase your online presence as they are often very visible on Google searches.
- Write about topics relevant to your field to demonstrate that you are up to date with industry news, passionate about your field and that you can communicate effectively.
Comment on industry blogs and articles
- Write insightful, professional comments on industry related blog posts or online articles to demonstrate your knowledge and that you are a willing and able contributor.
Tips for using social media
- Demonstrate professionalism by ensuring correct spelling, grammar, good manners and etiquette. Spelling mistakes are a turnoff for many employers.
- Before posting, consider what you would want a potential boss to see.
- Think about where you want to be start building a network to support your future goals.
- Control the information available to other people on your social networking sites by adjusting your privacy settings.
- Show your personality and creativity. Use social media to standout from other job seekers.
- Be generous and helpful to your connections. Recommend and endorse your reliable connections, reply to messages, answer questions and pass on leads to others.
- Sell yourself. Social media sites allow you the opportunity to share your awards, interests and accolades with others.
- Keep your tone positive, especially if posting information about current/previous employers.
- Ensure the information you share on social media sites is consistent with your résumé and what you say in a job interview.
- Be considerate of your network. Never ask an online friend or stranger for any more than you would ask from a person standing in front of you.