One of the best ways to prepare for an interview is to practice answering questions. In this section we look at how to answer some of the most common questions used during interviews.
Seven Common Interview Questions:
- Tell me about yourself
- The employer wants to know about your past work experience, related education or training and strengths that can help you with the job
- Focus on things relate to the job
- Do not talk about your personal life!
View this video from The Interview Guys on how to respond when an employer asks you to describe yourself.
- Why did you leave your last job?
- The employer wants to know if you quit, were fired or were laid off from your last job
- Stay positive, no matter how you left your last job
- Do not say anything negative about past employers
- Make sure you talk about what you learned while you were working at that job
- What do you know about our company?
- Research the company before your interview
- Refer to the section Before the Interview for more information
- Why do you want to work for us?
- The employer wants to know that you have thought about where you want to work
- Show that you have researched the company and are convinced that it is a good fit for you
- Why should we hire you?
- The employer wants to know what you can do for the company
- Prepare for this by looking at the list of requirements for the job and matching them with what you have to offer (skills, experience, personality traits)
- What is your greatest strength?
- Before the interview make a list of your skills – these are your strengths
- When you answer, choose three to five of those and think about how they will help you do the job
- What is your greatest weakness?
- You will be expected to talk about a weakness
- Do not talk about anything that would prevent you from doing the job
- Pick a weakness you have been working on and have improved
- Pick something you have not had the chance to do yet; it is important that you also talk how you will learn the ability or how you will improve this skill
Here’s a great video from Firebrand on how to answer a question about your greatest weakness.
Tip Sheet: Common Interview Questions and Answers
Need more help?
Attend The Centre’s Interviews that “Impress Workshop” and learn how to answer common interview questions. You can also book an appointment with one of our Employment Advisors for one-on-one interview coaching.