Get In Gear
Learn about trades as you get paid
*Free for successful applicants – with paid training and paid work placements!
Get In Gear has been described by participants as ‘life changing’. This free 20-week career and trades exploration program helps you find the path that is right for you, and the bonus is you get paid during your training period.
The first 10 weeks of the paid training program are divided between developing life and employability skills (job search skills and aptitude assessments) while the rest of the time you will spend time on practical learning through hands on-training in three skilled trades: construction, manufacturing, and electrical.
The remaining 10 weeks are spent in paid work placements to allow you to gain experience with a local employer.
Participants receive First Aid, CPR, WHMIS, Lockout/Tagout, and Customer Service Certification upon completion of the program.
Get in Gear runs out of The Centre’s Burlington, Ontario location.
We strongly encourage all interested applicants to apply, as The Centre for Skills Development & Training strives to create a diverse environment in which provides equal opportunity that prohibits any form of discrimination.
This program is for you if:
- You like to work with your hands
- You want assistance in determining your career path
- You want to improve or gain soft skills to get a job and keep it
- You are a hands-on learner (and know that a desk job is not for you)
- You want to ‘try a trade’ as a way to determine your future
- You want employment assistance upon graduation
This program is limited to just 15 participants. To be eligible, participants must:
- Be between 17-30 years old
- Never have collected Employment Insurance
- Not be in full-time work, school or training
- Be in need of assistance in finding and keeping work
- Commit to the entire duration of the program
Typical Weekly In-Class Schedule
|| Monday - Friday
|8:30 - 11:30am
|11:30 - 12:00pm
|12:00 - 3:00pm
||Guest Speakers, Workshops, Assessments, etc.
Need more information?
Review our frequently asked questions.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 905.333.3499 x 335
Get In Gear
Please complete the form below to start the process of applying to the Get in Gear Program.
I prefer to be contacted by:
Are you between the ages of 17 and 30?:
Have you ever collected EI (Employment Insurance)?:
Are you legally entitled to work in Canada?:
Are you currently working?:
Are you currently attending school or training?: