With the New Year just around the corner, now is a great time to be planning for the year ahead. If you have been trying to figure out what to do, we have five reasons to consider training for a skilled trade.
- Opportunities exist across Canada. Getting certified in any of the 57 red seal trades means you can take your skills across the country1.
- There’s growing demand for skilled trades work and that means job security too! According to the provincial government, almost one in five new jobs created in Ontario over the next decade will be trades related2.
- The pay is great. According to Stats Canada, working in the skilled trades paid an average of 6% more per hour than other occupations. The wage varies by trade, but with overtime included, experienced trades people can earn over $100,000 annually.
- Apprenticeship training lets you learn while you earn. Taking a pre-apprenticeship program which can be completed in as little as six months, will prepare you for a trades career.
- You can be your own boss. Trades people are in demand which is great for people interested in running their own business and setting their own hours.
There are lots of great places to find more information about the skilled trades. To start your search, check out the trade profiles on ApprenticeSearch.com for help deciding which trade is right for you. Then, when you’re ready to train for your new career in the trades check out The Centre for Skills Development & Training’s pre-apprenticeship programs.